Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Day 2: Senate pulls off the gloves

Well, I have to admit we got some fire works from the Senate Armed Services and Foreign Relations Committees. Foreign Relations was a bit of a drag, and in my opinion, run extremely unfairly by king-of-the-long-winded-bull-shiters: Joe Biden (DE-D). Petraeus is basically called a liar and isn’t even allowed to defend himself because Biden has to waist time preaching his partition plan with nary a question?

As for Armed Services, I thought Levin was critical but respectful, many of his collegues and MoveOn could certainly take a lesson. It was good to see McCain away from the campaign trail; he knows his stuff. Dodd seemed to wear his “I-just-visited-Walter-Reed” label just a little too proudly but posed some interesting questions. However, the shockers of the day were John Warner (VA-R) and Lindsey Graham (SC-R). WOW! Graham really raddled Petraeus when he pressed him about the possibility of his son’s deployment to Iraq. All want to know how long Petraeus thinks we’ll be in Iraq but he ain’t bitin’.

I’ll try to include a little more analysis tomorrow but I’ll just say the Dems gained a little more traction but still no real smoking guns. I don’t know why we thought these hearing would magically provide us with a go-no-go answer; maybe we were just hoping for too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home