Saturday, July 15, 2006

It is finished...or is it?

For all my readers who sit in burning torment, worried for my sanity as I attempt to complete my MA thesis, calm yourselves for I have finished. I wrapped up my final chapter, which is essentially a conclusion, on Wednesday. All I lack is an introduction. Currently my page count stands at around 160 (without the intro)with a perfunctory page limit set at 130 . However, this does not include a chapter that I've written on the use of print and pop culture by Air Force and Navy during their public relations campaigns, A CRUCIAL CHAPTER for which I'm gonna have to fight. My solution to this problem seems to be a perfect microcosm for the institutional evolution of military history. My opening chapters drip with traditional “drum and trumpet” issues, they’re heavy on conceptional air force and naval strategy, doctrine, and force structure problems. Therefore, in order to make room for more “accepted” academic methodologies, such as the culture chapter and a Foucaultian discourse argument, these chapters must be cut. It’s gonna be tough to do but I’m trying to demonstrate how cultural analysis can be paired with traditional narrative methods in order to form a piece of research that still makes a “good story.” Therefore "drums and trumpets" must be sacrificed for the greater good;). Time to get out the ax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home